With over 900 kids in foster care, sometimes it seems the problem of child abuse & neglect in Springfield & Greene County is overwhelming, but there are ways you can help. One of the biggest obstacles is finding a place to "jump in" and serve where your talents and resources can be used to make the biggest difference. With so many non profits in our area, even the task of finding an agency to call can be overwhelming!
That's where we come in. We mobilize community members to support local abused & neglected children and their Caseworkers and it's all very EASY! You have a few options:
- Adopt-a-Caseworker: you, your family unit, Sunday school class, Church, coworkers, book club or any other group you participate in can do this. We match you with a Greene County foster care Caseworker. They tell you what the kids/families on their caseload need and you help if you can. It's flexible, informal and builds relationships!
- Be a Volunteer Tutor: you meet with a foster child 1 hour/week in a public setting and help them with homework, studies and building confidence. No teaching experience is necessary but you will need to pass a couple background checks.
- Donate Clothing or Coats: we always need Brand New children's clothing and new winter coats of all sizes. We give these away to foster children through our Kid's Clothes Closet. We distribute only new items on purpose--this is to enhance the self-esteem of children who have often never worn a new clothing garment before:-)
- Donate Money: we are a charity, so we always need money to help cover operating costs so our 1 staff person can implement programs. Our services can't exist without an administrator:-) We also need money to purchase new children's clothing and help kids with eye glasses, contacts, school trips, summer camps and much more through Project Self-Esteem. Your tax-deductible gift can be mailed to Ambassadors for Children @ 627 N. Glenstone, Springfield, MO 65802 (payable to CCO-AFC or Ambassadors for Children).
- Donate Gently Used Items: You can put a description and photos of any item you would like to donate on our online Web Exchange. It's exclusively for our charity and child protective services workers in Greene County, MO. You list your item and a Caseworker will contact you if they have a client family that needs it.